Shoe Care Guide
THE ULTIMATE SHOE CARE GUIDE FOR MEN & WOMEN
SIMPLE SHOE CARE TIPS TO KEEP SHOES LOOKING GOOD
Keep your shoes in top condition with a few simple actions. If shoes are cared for regularly, and as recommended, they will last longer, look better, keep their shape, and maintain water resistance. We recommend the following general guidelines in caring for your shoes.
- The use of shoe trees is recommended to maintain the shape of the shoes when not being worn. To prevent the backs of the shoes from creasing and cracking, we suggest using a shoe horn to ease the foot into the shoe.
- Give your shoes a rest! Keep two pairs of day-to-day shoes for wearing on alternate days. This will allow perspiration and any moisture to dry thoroughly.
- The key to maintaining the “new” look and condition of your shoes is to spray them regularly with Rockport Rain and Stain Repellent Spray. This powerful non hazardous, non toxic spray is free from any heavy metals and solvents and is designed for all types of Rockport footwear. Applying a shoe protector spray is one of the most important shoe care products for leather, suede, nubuck and canvas shoes. It forms an invisible barrier against rain and everyday stains without affecting the breathability of the leather.
- Do not wash shoes or insoles in the washing machine unless they are specifically labelled as machine washable.
- Allow footwear to air dry. Wet shoes should never be dried in front of an open fire, put in a dryer, or put on a radiator.
- Never apply shoe cleaner, shoe cream, or shoe polish to shoes when they are wet.
- Always follow specific cleaning instructions and shoe care products designed for your shoes’ material.
WOMEN’S & MEN’S LEATHER SHOE CARE TIPS
Proper care of leather shoes will keep your shoes looking and feeling good for a long time. We recommend the following general guidelines in caring for your leather shoes. If you seek further information, please contact our Customer Care team.
- Before applying shoe cleaner to your leather shoes, gently wipe excess dirt from your leather shoes with a soft, dry cloth then wipe the shoes with a damp cloth. Remove the laces from your shoes.
- Let the leather dry naturally before applying shoe cream polish or mink oil to your shoes. A high-quality shoe cream polish in a similar colour to your shoes is the best shoe cleaner you can use for leather shoes.
- Keep white leather shoes looking fresh by using a white shoe cleaner. Using a special white shoe cleaner or sneaker cleaner will restore the look of white leather footwear.
- To protect your leather shoes, we suggest using a suitable Protector Spray for water and stain protection (silicone spray may darken the leather).
- After repeated use, certain leathers require a performance conditioner.
CARING FOR YOUR LEATHER SHOES WHEN WET
- Begin by using a damp cloth to wipe away any debris.
- Wipe leather dry then try stuffing your shoes with paper or dry towel to help absorb moisture and maintain the shape as they dry. Depending on the extent of the soaking, this could take from 2 hours to 2 days. Shoe trees can also be used to keep the shape of the shoe intact. Do not place the shoes near a heat source; let them dry slowly at room temperature. Leave to dry overnight or until moisture has completely evaporated.
- Use Rockport Rain & Stain Repellent to protect from any future exposure to water.
SUEDE AND NUBUCK SHOE CARE TIPS
Compared to polished leathers or synthetic materials, suede shoes require a bit of extra care. Caring for suede shoes isn’t complicated, and a quality shoe cleaning kit should have everything you’ll need. We recommend the following general guidelines in caring for your Suede & Nubuck shoes. If you seek further information, please contact our Customer Care team.
- To clean your nubuck or suede shoes, we suggest using a firm, nubuck rubber eraser to remove soil. Brush leather with a suede brush.
- To reduce deterioration and extend the life of your shoes, we recommend the use of Rockport Rain and Stain Repellent. This powerful but gentle spray repellent blocks dirt and moisture, is designed for use on nubuck leather and for usage on all types of Rockport footwear. The non-aerosol formula contains no ozone depleting chemicals and is made with recyclable PET bottles.
- Suede shoes will crease if they are not stored properly. To reduce creases and wrinkles in suede shoes, pop shoe trees into your suede shoes when they’re at rest.
- The key to suede shoe care is consistent maintenance. Keep your shoe cleaning kit at the ready and clean stains as soon as you see them. To prevent stains from occurring, use a quality suede shoe protector spray before you wear suede or nubuck shoes for the first time.
HOW TO CARE FOR REMOVABLE SHOE INSOLES
We recommend the following general guidelines in caring for your Removeable Shoe Insoles in our men’s shoes and women’s shoes. If you seek further information, please contact our Customer Care team.
- Remove the insoles from your shoes and brush lightly with a scrub brush using minimal soap and water.
- Allow insoles to air dry, do not machine wash or dry.
- Regular cleaning of removable shoe insoles is a great way to reduce odour from leather shoes.